Health Risks Of Exposure To Indoor Mold

Flood water not only compromises the structural integrity of your home, it may also cause serious health issues for you and your family due to mold contamination of walls, ceilings, floors and more. To avoid the risks of exposure to airborne mold spores after a flood, allow a water-damage professional to assess your flooded property and begin remediation as soon as possible. Otherwise, anyone living in the home could suffer the health consequences listed in the following guide.

Increased Asthma Complications

Living with asthma sometimes feels like you're walking on a tightrope because one mistake could induce an onslaught of symptoms or an asthma attack. If you or a family member suffers from both asthma and a mold allergy, the risk of experiencing increased asthma symptoms is even greater.

You, like many others, might not know if you're allergic to mold. Since you really can't predict whether or not exposure to mold will cause heightened symptoms, your safest bet is to treat the situation as if you do have a mold allergy, especially if you're asthmatic. Keep in mind that 10 percent of the population is allergic to airborne mold spores, and about half of these people will likely experience symptoms.

Heightened Respiratory Issues

Exposure to indoor mold can significantly increase the frequency and severity of respiratory problems, especially if anyone in the home already has a compromised immune system. Children and seniors are particularly susceptible to the risks of airborne mold spores. Long-term inhalation of mold can cause heightened respiratory issues such as:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Tightness of Chest
  • Nasal and Sinus Congestion
  • Respiratory Infections
  • Headaches
  • Frequent Coughing

Even if you've been living in a home with mold contamination for a while, it's not safe to assume you're immune to the consequences of mold exposure. Some people experience these respiratory complications almost immediately, while others may take much longer to develop symptoms. Long-term inhalation of airborne mold, no matter the type, can be dangerous for anyone.

A water damage professional is trained to uncover hidden sources of mold after a flood or other disaster. To minimize the health risks of exposure to indoor mold, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a professional mold assessment for any component of your home (e.g. floors, walls, etc.) that remains wet for at least 48 hours. By following this recommended guideline, you increase your family's chances of staying safe and healthy after a flood wreaks havoc on your home.


Share