Have you been looking for help making your aging refrigerator look new, or at least better than it does right now? There are a few things that you can do to give your refrigerator a makeover to help it coordinate with the rest of the décor in your kitchen, or just look less embarrassing to the guests that enter your home.
Remove the Dents
Having unsightly dents on the refrigerator can make your entire kitchen look aged. There are three methods that are commonly used to remove the dents in a refrigerator. These methods are:
- Automotive Dent Puller – Go to your local auto repair store and purchase a dent puller kit. These kits include a small suction cup that will be placed on the dent and help you to manually pull the dent out. To get the best results, dampen the area so that the suction cup forms a tight seal and pulls the dent out fully.
- Heat and Air Dusting Can – Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the dent. Be careful not to overheat the refrigerator panel or you could damage the paint. Once you have heated the dent, turn an air dusting can upside down and spray the dent. The liquid carbon dioxide will cause the metal to contract, and hopefully, return to its original form.
- Dry Ice – Pick up a block of dry ice at your local hardware store. While wearing a thick pair of gloves, hold the dry ice on the dent. After a few minutes, the metal should begin to contract and pop itself back into its original form.
Paint the Refrigerator
Whether the fridge is rusting through cracks in the paint, has become chipped up, or just does not match the other appliances, a coat of paint can go a long way in making it look much better. To paint the refrigerator:
- Sand the surface using 320-grit sand paper. This will help the new coat of paint adhere to the surface.
- Use painter's tape to tape off the rubber seals on the fridge.
- Apply a coat of appliance paint that is purchased from your local home improvement store.
- Allow the paint to dry, sand the surface to make smooth, and apply a second coat of paint.
These two projects will make your refrigerator look like new. If the refrigerator does not run as it should, talk with your local appliance repair technician (at 5 Corners Appliance Company or elsewhere) to learn what you can do to extend the life of your freshly rejuvenated refrigerator.